Serves approximately 6, depending on meatball size
- Approximately 0.5kg ground beef
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp bottled steak sauce
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- butter or olive oil for frying
- 2 tbsp butter or margarine
- 1/2 lb of mushrooms, trimmed and thickly sliced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tsp ketchup or chili sauce
- 1 can (10 oz) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1/2 pkg dehydrated onion soup mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- Rice or parsleyed noodles
Mix meatball ingredients until well combined. Hand roll meatballs to your desired size. In a large skillet, fully brown meatballs on all sides in butter or olive oil. Reduce heat and continue cooking for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until fully cooked. Remove meatballs; set aside.
Add butter or margarine to meat drippings in skillet and gently saute mushrooms. Remove skillet from heat and blend in flour and ketchup/chili sauce. Return to heat and gradually stir in beef broth. Stir in onion soup mix and bring mixture to boiling, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring for 3 minutes.
Add meatballs and gently simmer for about 5 minutes or until heated through. Blend in sour cream. Heat over low heat – do not allow to boil. Serve over rice or noodles.