Adapted from: Best Recipes Ever
Yield: 2 medium pizzas
- 3 cups (750 mL) whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) quick-rising instant dry yeast
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1-1/4 cups (300 mL) hot (120 F/50 C) water
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
In bowl, combine 2-3/4 cups (675 mL) of the flour, yeast and salt. With wooden spoon, gradually stir in water and oil until ragged dough forms, using hands if necessary.
Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead for about 8 minutes or until smooth and elastic, adding up to 1/4 cup (50 mL) more flour, 1 tbsp (15 mL) at a time, if necessary.
Place in greased bowl, turning to grease all over. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in warm draft-free place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate unrisen dough and let rise for 24 hours. Or freeze in plastic bag for up to 1 month; let thaw and rise in refrigerator overnight.)
Bake in bottom third of 425°F (220°C) oven until cheese is bubbly and crust is golden and puffed, about 20 minutes.
* Variation: To boost nutritional profile, and for a different flavour/texture, substitute up to 1 cup of the whole wheat flour for quinoa flour.