Chewy Chocolate Cherry Granola Bars (Gluten Free)
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats (if you don’t have steel cut oats, you can use 2.5 cups of rolled oats instead)
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/8 cup chia seeds
- 1/8 cup unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tbsps coconut flour, sifted
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate, melted
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsps vanilla
- 1 egg
- For a sweeter bar, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup raw sugar
- For a lower fat version, instead of 1/2 cup coconut oil, use 1/4 cup coconut oil and 1/4 cup mashed ripe banana OR 1/4 cup coconut oil and 1/4 cup finely shredded apple (NOTE: Using bananas will give your bars a slight banana flavour)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder may be substituted for the dark chocolate
Preheat oven to 350F
Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl; combine egg, maple syrup, vanilla and banana/apple (if using) in a separate bowl.
Melt coconut oil and dark chocolate together in a saucepan over low heat. Add maple syrup mixture to dry ingredients; stir until well combined. Allow coconut oil/chocolate mixture to cool slightly (to avoid scrambling your egg) and then add slowly to the rest of the ingredients.
Press into greased 8×11 inch baking pan. Bake for 25 minutes, until edges are golden brown. Cut while still warm, but allow to cool further before removing to avoid crumbling.
My recipe has been featured on Coconut Recipes! Check it out!